GATE SECURITY AT THE THE END OF THE DAY
In the interests of safeguarding and security, we have reviewed our procedures for collecting children at the end of the day. This is particularly important, as, due to building work, we are now using just one gate for exiting school. Our procedures at the end of the day are effective when parents, staff and children work together to ensure safe exit and secure collection at the end of each day. So, for maximum security of all children, could we please request that the following procedures are followed by all adults who collect children from school at the end of the day (if other adults collect children – please could you make them aware of these procedures too). All class teachers and members of staff who are on gate duty have been briefed in these procedures:
- YR Y1 Y2 children will continue to be collected from the classroom door by their adult (it is essential that school is informed if a different adult will be collecting your child; it is also important that your child knows who is collecting them that day).
- YR Y1 Y2 children need to stay with their adult whilst walking from the classroom to the gate. Due to the business of the gate, staff will not be able to supervise children who reach the gate without their parents/adult, so any child who reaches the gate without an adult, will be asked to return to their adult on the playground.
- Y3 children will still be collected from the playground – the class teacher will bring them to the YR fence – adults need to be on the playground to collect, not outside of the gate/school fence.
- Y4 children will be walked around to the gate by their class teacher and will wait behind the fence near the gate – when they see their adult (and their teacher sees their adult) they will be allowed to go. PLEASE COULD WE ASK THAT ADULTS ARE IN SIGHT OF THE GATE (not in cars, further down the road, round the corner etc) staff will need to see that an adult is there for collection.
- Y5 and Y6 children will be walked to the gate by their class teacher – IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT WE HAVE WRITTEN PERMISSION FOR A CHILD TO WALK HOME ON THEIR OWN - IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THIS PLEASE FILL IN THE ATTACHED FORM.
- Siblings: if your YR/Y1/Y2 child is in ‘siblings’ service, please ensure that an adult collects them form the hall, not their KS2 sibling.
- Please can all parents/adults keep reminding their children of the rule: IF YOUR ADULT ISN’T THERE, DON’T GO OUT OF THE GATE, TELL A SCHOOL ADULT AND WAIT WITH THEM…class teachers will remind children of this on a regular basis – the message will be embedded if parents do this too.
- A ‘Keep-Safe’ assembly will take place – as it does form time to time – when children will be reminded of these procedures, as well as other ways that they can keep themselves safe.
Many thanks for your help and co-operation with these procedures – I am confident that if we all work together, then our children will continue to be safe and secure when leaving school at the end of the day.